Best Sympathy Quotes for Passing
Writing a sympathy card or sending a note to express your condolences after a passing can be challenging. When there are no words that can possibly express how you feel or bring comfort to those who grieve, finding the right words can be hard. However, showing your sympathy or merely sending a note letting your family and friends know that they can count on you during this challenging time is a valuable gesture that speaks more than a thousand words.
When sending a heartfelt sympathy card, using sympathy quotes can help guide your words and help you write a note that sends encouragement, while reminding the recipient of your love and support during this challenging time.
If you are having difficulty finding the right words to send a family member or grieving friend a sympathy or condolence letter, consider including one of these sympathy quotes for support and reassurance.
15 Sympathy Quotes to Share with Grieving Friends and Family
01. “With Sympathy. Words can’t wipe away your tears. Hugs won’t ease your pain. But hold on to your memories. Forever they’ll remain.”
Though the author is unknown, these words of sympathy express condolences in a warm way, yet recognize that words cannot take away your loved one’s pain. The quote validates their feelings, conveys that you understand what they’re going through, and provides a bit of peace and encouragement all in a few simple lines.
02. “After a loved one passes, be encouraged by their passing and legacy. Instead of crying, live an inspired, spiritual and happy life like they did when they were here. Live each day with encouragement knowing that they are proud and smiling down on you from heaven.” – Matt Fraser
The perfect sympathy quote for a friend or loved one who has lost a person that lived a life of serenity. For those who were deeply in-tune with peace, advocates for a cause, or known to go out of their way to help absolutely anyone. These words of sympathy are personal, showing the person that you understood what their loved one stood for.
03. “Those we love can never be more than a thought away, for as long as there’s a memory they live in our hearts to stay.”
Everyone struggles with the idea of permanency when they lose a loved one, and it can be extremely overwhelming. Sending words of sympathy with a warm reminder that they will always have a piece of their loved one with them can bring reassurance.
04. “Words, however kind, can’t mend your heartache, but those who care and share your loss wish you comfort and peace of mind. May you find strength in the love of family and in the warm embrace of friends.”
A sympathy quote to remind your friend or loved one that they are not alone. When losing someone close to you, the world can seem like a dark place. These words of sympathy send a gentle reminder that they are not alone.
05. “Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.”
When struggling with a loss, reliving memories of a loved one may seem overwhelming. Provide a friend with words of sympathy that reassure them that one day they will look back and smile on these memories.
06. “They say love beyond the world cannot be separated by it. Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
A reminder to your friend or loved one that nothing can take away from the love they shared with an individual that has passed. Just because a person is gone, does not mean their love has disappeared. Sympathy quotes that reinforce the idea of eternal love can bring great comfort in difficult times.
07. “Tenderly, may time heal your sorrow. Gently, may friends ease your pain. Softly, may peace replace your heartaches. And may the warmest memories remain.”
A sympathy quote that lets your friend or loved one know it’s okay to take time to heal.
08. “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
Sympathy quotes that center on a loved one’s impact on others lift up those who are struggling. They show how valued an individual was, and how much they meant to others. This can bring great comfort.
09. “Some people leave such an impression on our hearts, and we are never the same for it. In this way, we are lucky, even as we mourn such a sad loss.”
It can be hard to remember the blessings we have received when we are deep in mourning. Sympathy quotes that encourage loved ones to reflect on what they appreciated most about their relationship can bring peace, if only for a moment.
10. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi, famous for his words of wisdom and truth, offers a sympathy quote as assurance that loved ones who have passed are with us forever. Though physically separated for the moment, loved ones will be with us eternally in heart and spirit.
11. “Hold tight to memories for comfort, lean on your friends for strength, and always remember how much you are cared about.”
For those who are having a particularly tough time dealing with a loss, sympathy quotes that provide advice in a tender way can be extremely helpful. Remind them there are people who love them and that they are never alone throughout their grief.
12. “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4
The first book in the New Testament, the book of Matthew provides great words of sympathy. For those who hold religion close to their hearts, and also for those who may not, the promise of comfort in a time of loss is invaluable.
13. “As you comprehend this profound loss, let yourself cry knowing each tear is a note of love rising to the heavens.”
Sometimes words of sympathy that encourage feelings of happiness may not be appropriate. For someone who has lost a spouse, a parent, or a sibling, their loss is often incomprehensible. When a loved one is lost suddenly, it becomes even more difficult. Let those who are mourning know that you understand the difficulty they are experiencing.
14. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death.” – Leo Buscaglia
Sympathy quotes that center on the idea of never-ending love helps loved ones acknowledge that their loss is significant, but that they do not ever have to stop loving the person who has passed.
15. “The angels are always near to those who are grieving, whispering to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God.” – Eileen Elias Freeman
For those who feel lost and alone following the loss of a loved one, sympathy quotes that remind them they are always surrounded by love can bring great comfort. Words of sympathy such as this can offer something to hold onto after the initial period of grieving has passed.
Writing a sympathy letter is difficult. If you still need help writing your sympathy card, our thoughtful experts have shared 6 tips for writing a sympathy card to help you get started.