What Are Memorial Engravings?
Personalizing a grave is a meaningful way to pay tribute to a loved one. Beyond customizing a gravestone to have the name and the date of birth and passing, memorial engravings on benches, mausoleums, and niches allow families to add short stories that celebrate the life of their loved ones. If you are pre-planning your burial arrangements, or are looking for inspiration for a loved one, keep reading to learn more about memorial engravings and ideas to consider.
What’s an Epitaph?
An epitaph is a short text placed on headstones or grave markers honoring the deceased person. Some people choose their own epitaphs when they pre-plan their burial arrangements. The phrases often used in an inscription are related to the deceased’s life, their accomplishments, and their personality. An epitaph aims to praise the virtues of the person and remind us of the bond between the living and the dead. At The Gardens, families can choose an epitaph to be placed on a plaque to go with memorial benches or a columbarium glass niche. In addition, families can choose to engrave the marble or granite crypts available in our indoor and outdoor mausoleums.
How to Choose Epitaphs?
When choosing the right epitaph, our funeral specialists recommend to keep them short and simple. Remember you have minimal space, and there are a few things you must include, such as the name and dates. Try to choose timeless phrases, staying away from harsh feelings or other emotions that can cloud your judgment. Another way to find inspiration for your epitaph is to look at literature, poems, and lyrics that speak to your connection with the deceased one.
Ideas for Memorial Engraving
If you’re still unsure as to what to write for a loved one’s epitaph, our funeral specialists have compiled a list of ideas. These phrases are meant to celebrate, commemorate, and cherish the memories of your loved one.
For Loved Ones
When choosing an epitaph for a loved one, you want to find a phrase that speaks to your love and relationship. These are some short phrases to consider when choosing an epitaph for a loved one.
- You’ll forever be my person
- Love means forever
- Love is eternal
- Real love stores never have endings
- Our love is love forever
- Life is not forever. Love is
- Our brief partings on Earth will appear one day as nothing beside the joy of eternity together
- What we keep in our memory is ours unchanged forever
- To live in the hearts of those we love is not to die
- I am I, and you are you, whatever we were to each other, that we still are
Engraving your mother’s grave marker can be an emotional moment. A loving quote, a short dedication, a memory, are all possible ideas to engrave your mom’s grave marker.
- Home is wherever mom is
- Best mom ever
- Love you forever and ever
- Thank you for loving me
- Forever your child
- The greatest mother
- My mom, my friend
- I love you, mom
- A mom, a spouse, a friend
- No one spread more love in a lifetime
Father’s quotes tend to be shorter and more related to what they loved the most. Some families choose to add quotes from their favorite sports players, for example. Whatever message you choose, here are some ideas to consider.
- To our first role model
- To the best dad
- Nice shot dad
- You worked hard so I could succeed, thank you
- Always your little boy/girl
- Where he leads me, I can safely go
- He was one who followed dreams, stars, and ships
- Your love will light my way
- Those we love don’t go away. They walk beside us every day
- His life a beautiful memory, his absence a silent grief
When looking for memorial engraving inspiration, you can always reach out to our funeral counselors to see what they would recommend. Based on the size of the grave and the material you choose to engrave, you can find different messages to celebrate the life of your loved ones.